If you read my whole wheat blueberry scuffin post, you will know that I have been baking more these days. Well, a bit less in the summer but it still is nice to have some healthy-ish baked goods around especially for the kids.
I love this ‘nanner bread for many reasons, and not just cuz it’s delicious and cute.
I have the opposite problem that most parents do with my oldest (who just turned eight). She gets PLENTY of micronutrients as she eats lots of fruits and veggies, vegetable sushi, bags of sunflower sprouts, and chlorella tablets. It is the macronutrients I find hard to get in. She is not much of a protein eater (of any kind) and as she has gotten older has shunned avocados, nuts, eggs, and most fish. So in this recipe, I finely chop whatever nuts I have around and add them in. I also add organic, sugar free yogurt for more nutrients and it makes the bread super moist.
I hope you enjoy!
Whole Wheat Banana Bread
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup yogurt
8 T melted butter
3-4 ripe bananas
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup sugar
splash vanilla extract
1/2 – 1 cup chopped (rough or fine in a food processor) nuts of choice
I use mostly organic ingredients but use whatever you have.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a large bowl mix sugar and melted butter. Make sure mixture is cool and then add eggs, yogurt, salt, baking soda, and vanilla. Mix well.
3. Add in bananas and smoosh with a whisk or spoon until bananas are chunky and well incorporated into the mixture.
4. Now add flour and mix well but do no over mix.
5. Add mixture to 2, 9X5 non-stick bread pans (mixture should fill about 1/2 of each pan)
6. Bake for approximately one hour, checking after about 50 minutes as each oven is different. Stick a toothpick or knife in the middle of the loaf and if it comes out clean, it’s done!
7. Remove from oven, cool, and enjoy!
Please let us know if you tweaked this recipe in any way and came up with a fab variety!