The word ‘healthy’ is so gosh darn relative these days, I hesitated to even put it in the title.
So depending on your reference point of ‘healthy’ these will either seem super healthy and a great option for kids or not so much.
Either way it IS a bit of a healthy-ish twist on your basic chocolate chip cookie.
Adrienne’s Healthy-ish Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes approximately 30 cookies
1.5 cups of whole wheat flour
1 cup of finely chopped nut and seed combo (I used walnuts and sunflower seeds and pulsed them in the food processor until they were the chopped-ness I was looking for)
(picture above is pre-fine chop :))
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/3 cup of sugar
1 stick butter, melted (8 teaspoons)
2 T peanut butter
1 cup chocolate chip cookies (or more if you’d like!)
1 t. baking soda
1 t. sea salt
All ingredients used were organic.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix sugar and butter then add eggs by hand or with mixer
3. In a separate mixer or bowl, combine nut/seed mixture, flour, oats, salt, baking soda, peanut butter, and chocolate chips
4. Add the sugar/butter/egg mixture to the dry flour mixture by hand or with mixer
5. On a greased or non-stick cookie sheet, place about 1 tablespoon of mixture for each cookie desired
6. Cook cookies for about 10-12 minutes
7. Remove from oven and allow to cool
The fam seemed to enjoy these very much. Not too sweet, and also, I feel, a great alternative to the packaged snack bar that I often send in my eight year old’s lunch box. With her, it can be challenging to get the macronutrients into her so adding things like nuts, seeds, peanut butter and using a baked recipe with eggs (most have them but not all) really works for me. And it seems like a treat, not a ‘Mom is making me eat this because it is good for me.’ Oh, the joys of parenting 🙂
You can tweak this recipe all you’d like, adding all different nuts or seeds, raisins, different sweet treats, sky is the limit!
What have you been baking lately?
Or did you make any groovy adjustments to the above recipe?
Let us know in the comments below.
Thanks and hope you enjoy this recipe!